This position is primarily responsible for the support of production and non-production Linux and Solaris servers from a systems administration perspective.
- Support existing server infrastructure in a 24x7 on-call capacity as part of a team rotation.
- Participate in Troubleshoot efforts and resolve hardware and OS problems (including performance tuning) and provide root cause analysis in a continual improvement model.
- Respond to escalated incidents and provide Linux/Solaris system administration subject matter expertise to resolve associated incidents.
- Implement changes to existing Linux/Solaris (hardware and OS) infrastructure including patches, users, drives, registry settings, etc.
- Perform hardware and OS capacity planning for existing applications as per recommendation/process to application owners and implementing solutions to allow for application and database expansion and performance.
- Contribute to efforts on operational projects from a system administration perspective such as OS upgrades, storage array migrations, etc.
- Understand Comcast tools, procedures, and processes to become a self-sufficient member of the team.
- Document operating and deployment procedures for other team members to follow.
- Interact with infrastructure engineering team members to improve standards and support procedures.
- Perform assigned duties independently with moderate management oversight.
- Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Management, or equivalent work experience in Red Hat Linux system administration.
- 4-6+ years’ experience as a Red Hat Linux systems administrator with 24x7 on-call rotation responsibilities.
- Exposure with deploying, administering, troubleshooting, and tuning Red Hat Linux systems in a medium to large enterprise environment.
- Experience in administering Red Hat Linux servers attached to enterprise-level storage arrays (EMC, Hitachi, HP, etc).
- Experience with Dell (Linux) and HP (Linux) hardware.
- Experience in any one scripting/programming efforts shell scripting (Korn shell, Bash shell, Perl, Expect, etc.) or Programming
- Good knowledge of the TCP/IP protocol suite (e.g. ARP, IP, TCP, DNS, UDP, and SNMP) and associated OS tools (snoop, tcpdump, traceroute, etc).
- Well verse with OS tools to administer filesystems, volumes, multipathing, and SAN luns.
- Experience with Cisco hardware a plus.
- Experience with Solaris and Oracle hardware a plus.
- Experience with automation tools such as puppet, ansible, and chef a plus.
- Experience with Veritas Storage Foundation and Cluster Server a plus.
- Experience with VMware a plus.
- Creative, self-motivated team player.
- Proven analytical, problem solving and organizational abilities.
- Excellent oral/written communication and inter-personal skills.
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications. Comcast is an EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace. Comcast is an equal employment employer.