As an Engineer II working in the Core Application Platforms (CAP) team, you will be building next generation application building blocks to help other teams with faster delivery of reliable, performant, and scalable software products. As an engineer on the team you will have a large amount of input on technical design decisions, development, testing, deployment and operational support of the platforms we are building. You will also be serving as a liaison to our customers – primarily other development and operations teams at Comcast.
Comcast is in the process of consolidating its core software development and delivery platforms to a single centrally managed team. These platforms will be used to enable the adoption of best current practices pertaining to the building, testing, deploying and operating of software assets across Comcast’s 800+ software development teams. As part of this project team, you will be responsible for the following:
- Developing tools and plugins to support easy adoption of the platform
- Advocating for the adoption of the central platform using a combination of training, documentation and client engagement tasks
- Operating the platform as a highly available, performant and scalable platform
The CAP Team:
- We value usable and working solutions now over a perfect solution later
- We value using good enough open source software over perfect commercial software
- We value diversity of opinion over group consensus
- We value being able to pursue a plan together over everyone agreeing that the plan is the best one
- We value context and responsibility over management visibility and direction
- We start from the assumption that someone, somewhere has already figured out a solution to this problem; we value using their results over rediscovering them ourselves
- We value actively and humbly seeking and appreciating honest feedback over preserving our egos
- We value making decisions with research and reason over tradition or fear; we are fans of the scientific method
- We value building it right over building it fast
In addition to the project specific responsibilities, other general responsibilities include:
- Participating in joint design and architecture sessions
- Writing and reviewing tested, production-ready application code
- Writing and reviewing appropriate levels of documentation
- Building effective deployment and monitoring systems
- Operating and supporting production environments (including on-call support)
- Performing code reviews
- Participating in software release and deployment activities
- Coordinating constructively with other team members
- 2.5 to 4.5 years of relevant work experience, including extensive programming experience
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field
- Good software development skill
- Knowledge of service-oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Knowledge of Agile development methodologies and practices (refactoring, TDD, pair programming).
- UNIX/Linux background: facility with command-line utilities; familiarity with system administration tools and concepts a plus.
- Familiarity with deployment and debugging in Linux container environments a bonus
Disclaimer The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications. Comcast is an EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace. Comcast is an equal employment employer.