As a Software Developer, you will be part of an Agile DevOps team responsible for the ingest of all VOD content for Comcast and our external customers. This is an exciting time for the One Ingest organization. We are in the early stages of bringing together several teams in order to create a single platform that ingests, processes and distributes all VOD and advertising assets for all Comcast video and CTS partners.
In order to do this, you will work alongside Content Operations, Product Management, Program Management, Architecture and TPx engineering organizations such as VIPER. And, finally, since you will be part of the CTS Video Platform organization, you will be tightly aligned with the Seattle-based team on larger software and organizational initiatives.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
- Scale the VOD ingest platforms to handle the processing of hundreds of thousands of assets.
- Work directly with external customers to syndicate services such as content origination and processing.
- Transform VOD metadata for the needs of Comcast’s X1 platform and CTS syndicated partners.
- Transcode, encrypt, package, process, store and distribute video and image files.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the brightest minds in Comcast while we roll out the video systems that is power both the current and next generation of television.
Success in this role is characterized by minimizing time to market of new features from concept to implementation, meanwhile removing customer-facing defects and impacts of component outages.
Your responsibilities will span the entire product life cycle, from requirements gathering, to development, to deployment, and operations support. You will be responsible for a number of things, including: developing and testing a web UI, middle tier, and/or backend code; working with the operations team to deploying the code in production and troubleshoot subsequent production issues; or you may develop scripts and utilities to automate data collection; interpret the collected data, and suggest a resolution to issues you uncover in the data.
Employees at all levels are expect to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities
- Develops solutions to a wide range of difficult applications, problems or procedures
- Interprets internal/external business issues and recommends complete solutions based on best practices and proven technologies
- Works with other members of cross-functional teams, third party vendors, and company product managers and marketing teams to deliver quality products in a timely fashion that meet defined requirements
- Is diligent about recording/documenting development and production support activities and tasks in Rally or other tools
- Ensures that project requests are properly accepted into the DevOps engineering team, worked on in a timely and efficient manner, are of high quality, and smoothly going the DevOps life cycle – continuous innovation, feedback, and improvement
- Deploys new systems and software including appropriate testing to ensure successful deployment. Determines the necessary test coverage and plans for deployment strategy
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Occasional on-call support is expected
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- Generally, requires 2-5 years related experience
- Experience with core Java, Spring and Maven
- Working experience with web applications
- Virtualization/cloud experience (VMware or OpenStack)
- Understanding on how to scale applications depending on load
- Experience with web application development including HTML5, CSS, and JS integration
- Ability to navigate Linux operating systems
- Excellent troubleshooting skill for network, Linux, and application issues
- Working experience with DataStax/Cassandra or other NoSQL database
- Experience with build/deployment automation (Jenkins)
- Experience with Java test automation (JUnit, Mockito)
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes or other containerization frameworks
- Prior experience or understanding of the Agile development framework
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications. Comcast is an EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace. Comcast is an equal employment employer.