Do you love to write code!? Are you passionate about software craftsmanship? Would you like to work on projects with tangible impact?
As a software engineer in Time Shifted Video Engineering Group, you will help to shape the next generation cloud based, highly scalable DVR service. You will develop the software to handle recordings and playbacks for millions of customers, to support Instant VOD, and develop tools to operate such large scale system at low cost.
Who will you work with?
Time Shifted Video software engineers collaborate with industry best in many disciplines: software architects, network engineers, data scientists, player developers, content security specialists, and various streaming video technologists. They also partner with quality assurance engineers, technical operators, and product owners daily. We’re a small team, delivering software solutions at the leading edge of distributed systems and streaming video technology.
What are some interesting problems you’ll be working on?
The core product this team is developing and managing is the next generation cloud DVR system (cDVR). We developed this system from the ground up. It is a large scale system that will support millions of customers to record their favorite TV shows in the cloud, which enables them to watch their recordings from any device, at anytime, and anywhere with an Internet connection. You will help to develop new features and improve existing software to scale this system to support real-time recording of 8 terabytes of video per second. You will also help to develop different tools to deploy and manage the system at multiple locations and work with different teams to ensure the system runs smoothly. Your work will impact the rapidly expanding IP video industry and customers’ experience.
Where can you make an impact
Your code will process the video content that is distributed to tens of millions of devices, all day, everyday. The systems you design and build will enable first-to-market product features. You can help influence leading edge cloud technology and streaming video technology standards with real world lessons learned by being a first implementer. Replace expensive vendor provided solutions with better, more stable, more scalable, more operable platforms, and see that your individual contributions will have multi-million dollar impacts to the bottom line.
- Design, develop, and maintain software applications to support new features. Improve existing software’s performance and stability. Ensure software modules are reliable and simple for reuse
- Improve software update and deployment process. Assist in the rollout of software releases
- Collaborates with project partners to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to resolve integration needs.
- Partners with QA team to figure out if applications fit specification and technical requirements
- Diagnose system performance issues, propose and implement code improvements to achieve desired system performance
- Be a team resource to help watch for new technologies and methodologies that are relevant to our problem space
- Participate in DevOps and make all the things work in production
- Operate and monitor production systems, propose improvements, develop tools to help lower the operational cost and increase the efficiency
- Other duties and responsibilities as needed
Here are some of the specific technologies we use for Time Shifted Video Engineering Group:
- MPEG 2, MPEG 4, HEVC, ABR Streaming
- Linux (CentoOS)
- Apache httpd and the Apache Portable Runtime
- Docker, Kubernetes
Skills & Requirements
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Typically requires 5 - 8 years’ experience
- Experience in programming languages Java and C/C++. Experience with Go (Golang) helpful
- Experience developing software for Networking, Web services, HTTP, and TCP/IP
- Experience with distributed system is a plus
- Understanding of RESTful design principals
- Experience developing multi-threaded and high performance software
- Experience developing software on and for multicore Linux machines
- Knowledge of Object Design, Design patterns, and Algorithms
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience with FFMPEG, HLS, HDS, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and H.264 compression is a plus
- Able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Great design and problem solving skills, with a strong bias for architecting at scale
- Strong troubleshooting skills, adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Devops mindset
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a division within Comcast’s Technology & Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects that originated within Comcast Interactive Media. We are based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based IP video infrastructure that’s been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams, and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer