VACT Engineer 3
Video Engineer 3,VACT Sustaining & Maintenance Engineering
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
We are looking for outstanding Engineersto join the VACT organization,that willprovide engineering excellence in systems architecture and design of IP based video networks. This position is critical to supporting thecutting-edgevideo acquisition and distribution platforms including satellite, QAM, and IP that the VACT team supports. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility; and we are looking for someone that is up to the challenge.
Who is Comcast VACT (Video Acquisition and Compression Technology)
VACT(Video Acquisition & Compression Technology),is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructurethat hasbeen built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.As a member of the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology (VACT) organization, you will be instrumental in delivering cutting-edge video distribution technology to millions of customers. You are provided with an opportunity to work with the top video and network technology vendors in the world, as Comcast focuses on being the leader in the industry to deliver the latest and greatest experience to our subscribers. To ensure that you have what you need to do your job effectively, we make sure that you have full access to the latest and greatest tools and test equipment in ourstate-of-the-artfacilities.
Who does theVideo Sustaining & Maintenance Engineerwork with?
TheSustaining & Maintenance Engineerof theVideo Design Strategy and Support(VDSS)teamwillsupportmultiple video acquisition, compression, and distribution platforms for Comcast, along with multiple commercial and syndication customers.This person will also work closely with the variety of on-site vendors that have a technical presence in our facilities.ThisEngineerwill be integral to the VACT organization;working closely,with our Video Reliability and Quality Team (VRQ)andVideo Systems Engineering and Control Team(VSEC), as well as the entire Comcast organization and many of our Commercial and Syndication partners.
Responsible for documenting, testing, integrating architectural changes, and maintaining various types of acquisition, compression, and distribution systems. Complete project and task-based engineering duties that align with the needs of the business. Provide innovative solutions for complex MPEG, video and data system design, installation/integration, and complex problem resolution. Exercise expert-level transmission/distribution engineering skills and methodology. Direct and develop long-term objectives and plans related to the company's technical vision. Act as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. Act as a Subject Matter Expert and a cross-functional liaison (Tier 3 Support) between our internal Advanced Engineering (Tier 4) and Operations (Tier 1 & 2) teams.
- Ensure that projects are properly integrated into the engineering team, worked on in a timely and efficient manner, and smoothly transitioned over to the Quality Reliability and Operations teams
- Work with other members of cross-functional teams, joint ventures, third party vendors and Company Product Managers and Marketing teams to deliver quality products, in a timely fashion, that meet defined requirements
- Understand key business drivers and apply the knowledge of internal/external business issues to improve products and services
- Interpret internal/external business issues and recommend solutions based on best practices and proven technologies
- Work with the product development and operations teams to define technicaland operational requirements thataccompany existing products
- Test and validate equipment and software to ensure they meet the needs of the business and technical specifications of products and systems managed
- Provide technical training to technicians and other operations/engineering groups on current and future technology
- Maintain a customer first focus, both internal and external, to provide the best possible experience
- Strive to achieve Company business objectives and engineering objectives in daily activity
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance
- Must be able to work variable schedule as necessary
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Occasional travel
- Experience in Transmission/Distribution Engineering and Operations (5+ years)
- Experience in Video Encoding/Transcoding Equipment
- Strong Troubleshooting and Critical Thinking Skills
- Experience in Deep-Dive MPEG Analysis
- Excellent Communication Skills(written and verbal)
- Customer Experience Focus
- Team First Mentality
Technology/Equipment Used: (prior experience/knowledge preferred)
- Encoding/Transcoding Platforms Ateme, Harmonic, MediaKind
- Video Muxing and Switching Equipment Harmonic (ProStream), Cisco (DCM)
- Video Codecs 4K, H.264, H.265, JPEG-2000, MPEG-2
- Audio Codecs EAC-3, AC-3, AAC, Dolby Vision
- Transport/Encryption ASI, SDI, SMPTE-2022, DS3, OC3, OC48, DVB, DVB2, BISS
- Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) Video Transcoding Platforms
- Ad-Splicing/Time Signals SCTE-35 (Type 0/Type 5/Type 6 Messaging), ENSI/ESAM
Additional Skills/Interests Desired:
- Multicast Experience Preferred, but Not Required
- Scripting (UNIX Shell, Perl, Python, etc )
- Database Management/Operation
- Virtualization Technologies ESXi, KVM,Proxmox
- HW Deployment Management Tools (PXE) Foreman, Vaquero, Cobbler, Spacewalk
- Operating System Deployment CentOS, Debian, Windows Server
- Provisioning/Configuration Management Tools Ansible, Puppet
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
Field of Study: Engineering, Computer Science
Certifications: MPEG Video Certification (Vendor or SCTE) preferred, not required
Years of Experience: Generally requires 5-8 years related experience
Compliance: Comcast is an EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace.
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer