Manager, VIPER DevOps
Comcast is going to change the way America looks at television. Sound exciting? Then be a part of our next big thing. We're building the perfect product development environment and are hand-picking a dream team.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment? If you rock, we want you here!
The VIPER team is a fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
We are looking for the best Manager to oversee Comcast's IP video operation (VIPER Time Shifted Video Operations) and to drive the successful adoption of an Agile model.
In this highly visible position, the Manager will oversee a team of engineers and other direct reports working with them to set goals and assess performance evangelizing an ethic of constant improvement while providing formal and informal status reports to your Director and upper management.
You will work with "product owners" as well as peer managers and scrum-masters to define and deliver stories and epics for Ops as well as for our customers in Engineering, Program Management, Product Management and Business Ops. To be successful, you will coordinate closely with VIPER Engineering & Development to align resources toward shared sprint goals.
The ideal candidate has prior work experience in technical SME roles (IT Operations and/or Engineering). Ability to successfully execute as well as coach a hybrid Kanban/Scrum methodology, while coordinating with parts of the operation that do not cater specifically to Scrum is a requirement.
This role reports to the Director of Engineering Operations
Experience in a highly accountable industry where KPI measurement and accountability is the norm is a plus.
- Manage a team of DevOps engineers and scrum masters as the product owner' in our Agile operation, contributing to the creation of a massively scalable, highly available IP Video Platform
- Work closely with other product owners, staff and enterprise stakeholders to groom, prioritize, and execute sprint stories from the Backlog.
- Work closely within various scrum teams consisting of Developers & Service Delivery Engineers
- Provide "agile" coaching to drive adoption as needed.
- Provide senior leadership in both Ops & Engineering with broad visibility into the Backlog as well as sprint outcomes.
- Ensure ITIL fundamentals are integrated into Scrum/Kanban stories, e.g. root cause analysis and standard, repeatable operating procedures.
- Negotiate and set annual goals and quantifiable success criteria with each of your direct reports, supported by periodic meetings to track progress.
- Facilitate the submission of well-defined user stories to Engineering by maintaining a dedicated backlog of Operational asks.
- Revise processes and tools as needed to support your mission.
- Ask insightful questions and leverage team strengths to expose and resolve operational and architectural challenges for video programs.
- Identify, communicate & manage dependencies, risks, & mitigation plans.
- Promote a collaborative environment that fosters creativity & innovation.
- 24/7 managerial escalation point for break/fix incidents
- Technical working manager
- Occasional travel for cross-team meetings.
- 7+ years in software, analytics or data driven business operations.
- Prior education, scrum or project management experience in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar fields.
- 2+ years developing or operating Web, video or financial solutions in an Agile environment
- Able to establish technical credibility quickly to earn trust and results
- Bash scripting expertise
- 2+ years Storage experience
- 2+ years' experience with MemSQL
- 1+ years' experience with Kubernetes
- Genuine curiosity and a proven track record building motivated and collaborative teams
- Able to flourish in a rapidly changing, matrix environment.
- Effective facilitator w/ excellent consensus building skills
- Excellent organizational skills in service to both smooth execution and enterprise-level communications.
- Courageous, assertive and determined to remove impediments
- Excellent verbal and written communication and time management skills.
- Familiarity with TV & Web ad insertion technology is a plus (SCTE-35, SCTE-130, & VAST 2.0/3.0).
- Development experience (Golang a plus)
- Experience in managing remote teams
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER(Video IP Engineering & Research) is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division that spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media. VIPER is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer