Eng 4, Optical Transport
Responsible for designing, implementing and managing the use of& Comcast’s National Transport Network. Designs and develops plans to update the national infrastructure in support of commercial services. Ensures a balance between tactical and strategic network technology design solutions and considers end-to-end business problems within and outside the enterprise. Develops and produces converged network best practices and ensures architectural guidelines are utilized. Acts as a key contributor in a large complex network environment. Independently determines and pursues course of action necessary to achieve results. Frequently leads teams on specific projects providing broad direction and expertise. Usually determines own work priorities. Acts as resource for colleagues with less experience.
& - Supports activities related to optical transport systems and applications as it relates to HSD, Voice and Video on Comcast Backbone, ensuring timely and appropriate system maintenance activities, following rigid guidelines for production management and production implementation.
& - Provide timely designs in support of new projects on the Comcast Backbone network.
& - Assist with the support, maintenance, and operation of the Comcast Backbone network.
& - Respond and adapt to procedural and architectural changes.
& - Assist in developing procedures and processes for both engineering and operational issues.
& - Provide interface between Engineering, Network Design, and Sales organizations.
& - Prepare written reports and other technical documentation necessary to communicate ideas, concepts, and details necessary to accomplish specific goals.
& - Implement optical transport network solutions to meet the needs of various Comcast lines of business including but not limited to client circuit provisioning and DWDM line side provisioning activities.
& - Work with existing team to develop, enhance and scale the Optical network design supporting the deployment of voice, video, and data services
& - Support the Optical infrastructure on an ongoing basis.
& - Work with Operations and other teams to provide training on current network products and processes.
& - Mentors members of the engineering and operations teams
& - Evaluate and implement various optical designs, solutions and implementations.
& - Participate in & the Backbone Engineering Optical On Call rotation.
- Provides configurations and technical leadership as a primary technical resource on optical transport network technologies. (DWDM, OTN)
- Performs a variety of highly complex analytical duties in network design and optical transport services for network optimization and produces fundamental and detailed designs for implementation.
- Analyzes traffic engineering data to forecast network capacity requirements for efficient network designs and overall cost reductions.
- Performs technical training for regional engineers and operations/engineering (XNOC) groups on current and future technology.
- Develops test and acceptance criteria for optical transport networks and provides technical direction for network problems.
- Maintains the configuration and supports the engineering design life cycle with proper documentation ensuring that all detailed designs adhere to network standards.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or Equivalent
- Generally requires 5-8 years related network engineering experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an Optical infrastructure engineering role
- Expert knowledge of engineering concepts, skills, methodology and their application in the Optical networking arena
- Excellent understanding of DWDM systems, Modulation schemes, RAMAN amplification and capable of complete Optical system analysis through modeling and appropriate software tools preferred.
- Experience with Optical system platform testing in a lab environment and familiarity with associated test tools such as OTDR is a plus.
- Field experience with deploying National Optical system platforms required
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Ability to effectively communicate through use of MS Office tools such as Visio or PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences – written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills. Must be a flexible, team player that is able to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries
- Creative thinking and critical analysis are essential
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex or any other legally protected category.