Associate Counsel, Patent
Responsible for providing legal support and guidance for: all aspects of patent application preparation and prosecution; patent-related issues in business and technology agreements; and patent-related issues arising in transactions, general business activities and operations.
- Assist in managing all aspects of patent application preparation and prosecution practice for a large portfolio of domestic and foreign matters.
- Capture and evaluate ideas and inventions with a strategic outlook.
- Supervise and manage outside patent prosecution counsel, and provide substantive review and guidance for all patent prosecution matters.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of intellectual property-related matters in commercial agreements such as license and distribution agreements, product development agreements, and joint venture agreements.
- Counsel business leaders and engineers on intellectual property-related issues arising in strategic business/development partnerships, technology and e-commerce agreements, and matters related to a wide range of product offerings and technology platforms.
Additional Responsibilities and General Duties within Comcast Law Department:
- Provide legal counsel in a particular subject area of expertise to business units.
- Dispense legal knowledge and expertise impacting business operations. Work closely with front line management and staff.
- Perform legal research when and as necessary to resolve legal issues and determine the appropriate course of action regarding a particular issue/case. Consult with and supervise outside counsel to develop legal strategies and resolve issues in routine matters.
- Perform duties consistent with strategic plans and directives as determined by more senior level management and attorneys.
- Consistently exercise sound and independent judgment and discretion in all matters.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Law Degree. Top 20% of class preferred.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Member of a state bar in good standing, and eligible for Pennsylvania Bar or Pennsylvania Limited In-House Corporate Counsel License.
- Minimum 2-4 years of related patent preparation and prosecution experience in technology areas such as wireless technologies (e.g., cellular, Wi-Fi), data processing and delivery, video processing and distribution, Internet of Things (IoT) and automation, and related technologies.
- Experience is preferably with a recognized law firm and/or corporate legal department.
- Experience in patent litigation and preparation of patent-related opinions is a plus.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills for personal interaction with engineers, business leaders, and other attorneys.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate creative solutions to accomplish the company's objectives.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating, problem solving, and communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively with senior management and operations personnel, simultaneously manage multiple projects and meet deadlines with consistently high quality work.
- Familiarity with the following would be a plus: technology licensing (including open source software); broadband business and technology (video and content distribution, high speed Internet, VOD, DVRs, HDTV, and IPTV); digital media technologies; and user device applications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer