Principal Distributed Systems Engineer
The Platform Delivery Engineering team is a growing, fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end IP video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility. The team is driving the delivery of many cutting-edge changes to how Comcast delivers IP video to customers.
Our team is responsible for making one of the largest federated deployments of Kubernetes available as a service for many other teams to consume and use. Our success will be measured by the stability and scalability of our platform as more products and applications are migrated to containerized architectures. More specifically, we write server-side code in Go for a load balancer, log aggregator, monitoring tool, resource provisioning daemons, deployment tool, and a REST API. We also have a UI written in VueJS.
Everything our team writes is integrated into a CI/CD pipeline that tests our code, builds containers, and deploys working systems into lab and staging environments. We work closely with a team of dedicated infrastructure and network engineers. Our customers are software developers.
As a Software Engineer on the team, you will:
- Write unit tests for your code
- Write engineering-level documentation for your code
- Integrate your software with other components
- Participate in software design meetings
- Break large tasks into smaller ones
- Attempt to estimate complexity of tasks
- Learn new things
- Share learnings within the team
As a Principal Engineer, you will also be expected to:
- Communicate our work and accomplishments to senior management
- Capture ideas from the team and translate into meaningful invention disclosures
- Care about servers and datacenter infrastructure
- Mentor junior members of the team to bring up our overall competence
- Maintain an up-to-date project plan and oversee sprints
Successful candidates typically have several meaningful years of experience in industry and can speak to their role in the success of the projects they've worked on. Professional work within multiple languages and frameworks over multiple years is good. Personal projects, exploratory or ambitious, are also good.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer