Eng Ops Engineer, Video Acquisition & Compression Technology
As a member of the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology team, you are instrumental in delivering cutting edge video distribution technology. You will be provided with an opportunity to work with the top video and network technology vendors in the world as Comcast focuses on being the 1st in the industry to deliver the latest and greatest experience to our customers. To ensure that you have the tools to do your job effectively, we make sure that you have full access to the latest and greatest tools and test equipment in our state of the art facility.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
As a member of the Earth Station Operations-Video Acquisition and Compression Technology team for Comcast, you will be instrumental in leading the strategic direction of the physical technical space that is used to deliver video to the entire Comcast footprint. The VACT team is a new, small and fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery in a 24/7 environment. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility. You would be a part of the team that delivers video in every format to the end user from cDVR, to QAM delivery as well as TV Everywhere (OTT). To ensure that you have the tools to do your job effectively, we make sure that you have full access to the latest real-time and offline analysis tools in our state of the art facility.
Who does the Earth Station Operations Engineer work with?
An Eng/Ops Engineer on the ESO-Video Acquisition and Compression Technology Team will work with a variety of on-site vendors that have a technical presence in our facilities. We provide Tier 2 operations support to the Video Quality and Reliability team and work closely with the network engineering and video engineering teams.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
In this role, you will have exposure to any and all issues that can arise within the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology team. We are the team that is instrumental in solving complex video and RF issues that come in from anywhere, whether escalated from a customer, or from other teams within Comcast that we partner with.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to roll out the video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages.
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot diverse video compression and RF distribution systems.
- Uses in-depth Information Technology skills and knowledge to ensure maximum availability and reliability for video and data transmission systems that include video compression, fiber optic, RF, and IP distributions.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects and issues simultaneously.
- Focus on flawless planning and execution of all change activity.
- Perform detailed testing and validation of all video compression systems to ensure operability.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on satellite acquisition and transmission systems including high powered transmitters and antennas.
- Installation and configuration of satellite receivers for content acquisition and distribution.
- Documents results of applied work processes and practical application of technical standards. Reports results to management. Recommends innovative solutions.
- Utilize test equipment and monitoring resources to solve moderate mpeg and data problems.
- Acts as an advocate for Engineering and Operations procedures, policies, and processes.
- Sets the tone and pace for work performance within project groups and impressionable Engineering and Operations staff.
- Creates data and metric systems to track operational workflows, maintenances, resources and system failures; maintains records of results and feedback. Analyzes data and metrics, identifies problem areas, and provides actionable insight to management.
- Works closely with broadcast and engineering staff on system design and configuration.
- Occasional travel.
- Provides advanced troubleshooting support when complex issues arise to support operational standards and uptime.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work variable schedule as necessary.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Here are some of the specific technologies we use for RF transmission and Video Distribution:
- RF Transmission
- High power amplifiers
- Wave guide
- Down converter
- Digital tracking receiver
- Up converters
- Bacon receivers
- Uplink power controllers
- Video Compression.
- Audio Compression.
- Dolby AC3
- Dolby Digital Plus
- Knowledge of various telecommunications transport mediums and encryption methods, to include ASI, SMPTE 2022, DS3, OC3, OC48, SDI, DVBS2, DVB, DC2, SA PowerVu and BISS.
- Adaptive Bitrate Transcode
- SCTE-35 2012/13
- SCTE-20 EIA 608/708
- ESNI / ESAM
- Variety of MPEG Analysis Tools
Preferred Skills / Experience / Education:
- Associates degree or equivalent experience.
- Field of study focused in Information Technology or Computer Science.
- 2+ year's relevant experience in Information Technology operations and methodology.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Linux, Unix.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Excel, Visio, Word).
- Excellent communication skills.
- CCENT or Net+ preferred.
- A+ or IT Fundamentals preferred.
- Great problem solving skills.
- Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution.
- Comfortable working a fast paced agile environment.
If you don't feel that you have all of the above skills, please choose to apply. Please give us the opportunity to review your skills and experience, as they may be exactly what we are looking for.
About Comcast VACT (Video Acquisition and Compression Technology)
VACT (Video Acquisition & Compression Technology), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media and is based in Centennial, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer