Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
This individual will be a member of the Pulse Operations team within the Systems Engineering Organization. This team operates Comcast's cross-platform services that enable the Video On Demand navigation Infrastructure and back end billing entitlement systems for millions of video customers.
This job involves supporting the full range of activities necessary to deliver services on an end-to-end basis, which will include working with various teams and vendors to develop and implement new system designs and software, and providing holistic 24x7x365 support to our customers and business partners. We're interested in attracting a diverse set of candidates for this position--If you're not sure if you qualify, please err on the side of applying.
- Function as a key member of the team responsible for the day-to-day, 24x7x365 on-call engineering, system administration, and operation of Comcast's VOD (Video on Demand) video delivery systems.
- Provide review and input into the design of new technical features and architectural changes to the systems.
- Define and implement best practices around various operation processes
- Perform periodic software updates to systems, and address security vulnerabilities.
- Scale infrastructure to meet growing capacity and launch new applications in both private and public clouds.
- Participate in planning, daily scrums and continuously evolve automation.
- Lead troubleshooting efforts to find root causes and corrective actions throughout the life of a project.
- Develop tools to automate builds and continuous integration using Jenkins, Ansible, Spinnaker, Terraform, Docker, etc
- Develop monitoring solutions and appropriate metrics to measure performance and efficiency of applications.
- Own the day-to-day health, uptime, monitoring, and reliability of services
- Participation in an on-call rotation for after-hours coverage as needed.
- Occasional travel to collaborate with remote teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
- DevOps experience
- At least 5 years of Linux systems administration, performance tuning, and troubleshooting experience in a large-scale (100+ servers), customer-facing, high availability environment.
- At least 3 years in-depth experience with IP networking (TCP/IP packet analysis, DNS, DHCP, NAT, SNMP etc.)
- At least 3 years Administration, maintenance, support, tuning and scaling of Application Servers.
- At least 3 years supporting large application software clusters (Kafka, Cassandra, Riak, RabbitMQ, Redis, etc.) and with a clear understanding of their issues and bottlenecks.
- Creation of scripts/playbooks to automate tasks and infrastructure buildout.
- Experienced in managing a highly available customer facing applications be able to define and design applications based on LB and GSLB
- Design and implementation of monitoring and notification approaches, which maximize system stability, function and performance.
- Demonstrated ability to stay organized while multi-tasking between several projects, and to adapt to change.
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player with professional work ethics and a positive attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to produce results with a minimum of day-to-day direction.
- Demonstrated interest in continuing to grow professionally and learn new things.
- Load Balancer configuration, function, setup and support.
- Clear understand of client-server frameworks such as Netty
- Experience operating and troubleshooting consul, Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience with using, administering any NoSQL database
- CI/CD experience with Jenkins or similar tools
- Experience building and/or using RESTful web services and micro-services
- Ansible AND/OR Perl programming
- Knowledge of deploying and operating on public or private cloud infrastructure (Amazon Web Services, Azure, OpenStack)
- Tools development in Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, or similar languages.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent in work experience and self-study.
- Advanced degree is a plus.