Operations Engineer, Video Acquisition and Compression Technology (VACT)
As a member of the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology team, you are instrumental in delivering cutting edge video distribution technology. You will be provided with an opportunity to work with the top video and network technology vendors in the world as Comcast focuses on being the 1st in the industry to deliver the latest and greatest experience to our customers. To ensure that you have the tools to do your job effectively, we make sure that you have full access to the latest and greatest tools and test equipment in our state of the art facility.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
As a member of the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology team for Comcast, you will be instrumental in leading the strategic direction of the physical technical space that is used to deliver video to the entire Comcast footprint. The VACT team is a new, small and fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility. You would be a part of the team that delivers video in every format to the end user from cDVR, to QAM delivery as well as TV Everywhere (OTT). To ensure that you have the tools to do your job effectively, we make sure that you have full access to the latest real-time and offline analysis tools in our state of the art facility.
Who does the Eng / Ops Engineer work with?
An Eng / Ops Engineer on the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology Team will work with a variety of on-site vendors that have a technical presence in our facilities. We provide Tier 3 operations support to the 24/7 Technical operations teams and work closely with the network engineering and operations teams.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
In this role, you will have exposure to any and all issues that can arise within the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology team. We are the team that is instrumental in solving complex video and networking issues that come in from anywhere, whether escalated from a customer, or from other teams within Comcast that we partner with.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to roll out the video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages.
- Uses in-depth engineering skills and knowledge to design and solve complex video and data transmission systems that include video compression, fiber optic, RF, and IP distributions.
- Creates system architecture, design and specifications within engineering projects and initiatives.
- Recommends new resources to management and utilizes resources to solve complex video and data problems.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Focus on flawless planning and execution of all change activity.
- Documents results of applied work processes and practical application of technical standards. Reports results to management. Recommends innovative solutions.
- Utilizes resources to solve moderate mpeg and data problems and recommends new resources to management.
- Acts as an advocate for Engineering and Operations procedures, policies, and processes.
- Ensures projects are fully integrated into the operations environment including lifecycle problem management from front line operations preparedness.
- Sets the tone and pace for work performance within project groups and impressionable Engineering staff.
- Creates data and metric systems to track operational workflows, maintenances, resources and system failures; maintains records of results and feedback. Analyzes data and metrics, identifies problem areas, and provides actionable insight to management.
- Works closely with broadcast and technical operations staff on system design and configuration.
- Mentors team members.
- Occasional travel.
- Provides advanced troubleshooting support when complex issues arise to support operational standards and uptime.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work variable schedule as necessary.
- Ability to work nights as needed.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Here are some of the specific technologies we use for Video Distribution:
- Video Compression.
- Audio Compression.
- Dolby AC3
- Dolby Digital Plus
- Knowledge of various telecommunications transport mediums and encryption methods, to include ASI, SMPTE 2022, DS3, OC3, OC48, SDI, DVBS2, DVB, DC2, SA PowerVu and BISS.
- Adaptive Bitrate Transcode
- SCTE-35 2012/13
- SCTE-20 EIA 608/708
- ESNI / ESAM
- Variety of MPEG Analysis Tools
Preferred Skills / Experience / Education
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Field of study focused in Engineering and/or Computer Science.
- 5+ year's relevant experience in transmission/distribution engineering and methodology.
- Strong project management experience
- Experience with managing Cisco UCS
- Strong proficiency in VISIO
- Excellent communication skills
- CCNA preferred.
- Multicast experience preferred, but not required.
- Great design and problem solving skills.
- Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution.
- Comfortable working a fast paced agile environment.
If you don't feel that you have all of the above skills, please choose to apply. Please give us the opportunity to review your skills and experience, as they may be exactly what we are looking for.
VACT(Video Acquisition & Compression Technology), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in Centennial, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer