Sr. Cloud Architect
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment? As a senior software Engineer on the Service Platform Acceleration and Cloud Engineering (SPACE) team, you will report directly to the Chief Architect of Cloud Infrastructure to help modernize and migrate applications to existing and new cloud venues.
The SPACE team is a new, small and fast-moving group of world-class experts who are innovating in delivering software-defined infrastructure services and platforms. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
SPACE Architects are closely aligned with engineering and product teams to ensure our services consistently meet customer demands. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of large scale computing solutions and experience leading deep architecture discussions. As a key member of the SPACE Architecdture team, ensure success in designing, building and migrating applications, software, and services on the AWS platform. You will participate in deep architectural discussions and design exercises to create world-class solutions while ensuring solutions are designed for successful deployment in the public and private clouds. You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to bring a cloud native approach to architecting and deploying Comcast's newest capabilities in a highly reliable and scalable way. Success in this role is characterized by the overall performance, reliability, security, and scalability of an application. Success can also be measured by the overall cost savings for the business.
- Work directly with Comcast's largest cloud users to define technical specifications based on conceptual design and business requirements.
- Assist with the design and implementation of security and forensics capabilities to ensure governance across multiple cloud venues, private and public.
- You will help enable innovation through continuous deployment across technology stacks and demonstrate best practices around advanced cloud solutions
- Partner with engineering, architecture, and product teams to craft highly scalable, flexible and resilient cloud architectures that address customer business problems and accelerate the adoption of cloud services
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies, services, tools, and multiple cloud vendors for innovative new capabilities
- Design, develop, test, debug and document new and existing software and or applications.
- Create platform and other application prototypes, publish design patterns, and speak internally and publicly
- Contribute to and respond to code and architecture reviews as needed.
- Write code and scripts to automate everything possible.
- Strong technical expertise and troubleshooting skills for large scale distributed computing systems and software.
- Minimal conceptual, logical and physical data modeling with data modeling tools and database design in complex, large-scale data environments.
- BS in computer science or related field
- Knowledgeable in public and private cloud technologies
- Demonstrated ability in building cloud native and 12 factor applications
- Demonstrated production-level software development skills
- Demonstrated ability to conceive, manage, and complete project deliverables
- Linux systems administration skills, across distributions, and especially in a cloud or virtualized environment
- Understanding of IP networking and traffic scaling
- Experience with agile development methodologies, rapid application development, and project management
- Proven ability to design and present understandable and practical solutions to complex problems
- Demonstrated leadership skills in a fast-paced, team-driven environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including visual presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience in research data collection, analysis, and presentation
- Ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations
- Ability to travel when needed; expected travel is 5-25%
- At least 10 years' experience in a software engineering role
- Extensive experience leveraging AWS, Azure, and/or Google Compute Platform to deploy highly reliable and scalable cloud applications
- Expert at script language development, including Python, Node.js, and Perl
- Proficient with data structuring languages, including XML, JSON, and design of binary data formats
- Experience creating and managing projects in revision control, including git and github
- Experience with automated testing and performance tools, including JMeter
- Experience with large-scale distributed infrastructures, including technologies for clustering and load balancing
- Understanding of distributed capacity management
- Understanding of Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA and REST), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Experience implementing continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) tools and systems
- Specific experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos and Marathon
- Demonstrated ability to automate the deployment of infrastructure using tools like Terraform, Ansible, or Chef/Puppet.
- Deep understanding of HTTP, TCP, DNS, UDP, IPv4/IPv6 networking and protocols
- Understanding of network database and storage technologies including NoSQL, NAS, and object stores
- Understanding of unattended installation and configuration technologies including PXE and Foreman
- Experience with Agile, including Scrum, Kanban, and Extreme Programming
- Understanding software development in a DevOps culture
- Proponent of open source software licenses
- Ability and desire to mentor engineers, technologists, and managers
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer