Network Engineer 3(Arch & Design)
Engineering position focused in the Commercial Services line of business. The ideal engineer will have experience in evaluating, designing, deploying and supporting LAN/WAN environments. Previous experience with Metro-E network or Service Provider networks is essential. In addition this engineer will participate in the evaluation, design, trial and deployment of our next generation network and service delivery.Experience developing for Software Designed Networks (SDN) and Network Virtualization (NFV) is a plus.
Employees at all levels are expect to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job
- Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint,and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities
Engineering design, implementation and support Business Services across the national Comcast footprint as necessary.
Develop and improve best practices and procedures for network implementation, maintenance and operation.
Assist internal partners in building out the Business Services Next Generation Network as well as Business Services Cloud environment
Provide guidance as we develop and plan the roll-out of future hardware and software versions of network devices.
Create and document all high-level and detailed network designs.
Monitor network capacity, plan and implement market augments as necessary.
Provide On-Call support, as necessary, focused on isolating and resolving network outages.
Communicate applicable design guidelines and provide guidance to regional markets to ensure compliance to network design standards.
5+ years of hands-on IP router/switch/telephony equipment
5+ years of documented experience of Network design and support.
Strong scripting skills required, in any of the following languages: Python, Perl, UNIX, PHP, and MySQL
Aptitude and experience with programming the network versus configuring networks.
Strong understanding of the high level design criteria for managing large data/voice communications networks in a decentralized environment
CCNP/JNCIP certified or equivalent on-the-job experience required.
Very strong understanding of routing protocols such as BGP/OSPF/ISIS/MPLS etc.
Specific knowledge of Cisco, Juniper, Ciena and Arista routers and switches
Broad knowledge of Cisco, Juniper and Arista configurations
Solid understanding of IPv4, IPv6, Layer 2/3 services, Route policies, ACLs, QOS
Extremely organized individual with the ability to manage multiple project, lead and/or participate on multiple project teams
Solid business skills to effectively interact with internal business units and external vendors
Provides configurations and technical leadership as a primary technical resource on Internet Protocol (IP) router network technologies (BGP, OSPF, ISIS), traffic flows and overall end to end network communication.
Performs a variety of highly complex analytical duties in network design and IP services for network optimization and produces fundamental and detailed designs for implementation.
Analyzes traffic engineering data to forecast network capacity requirements for efficient network designs and overall cost reductions.
Performs technical training for regional engineers and operations/engineering (XNOC, PNOC, BNOC) groups on current and future technology.
Develops test and acceptance criteria for IP networks and provides technical direction for network problems.
Maintains the configuration and supports the engineering design life cycle with proper documentation ensuring that all detailed designs adhere to network standards.
Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- CCNP required, F5-SEL/SEG preferred, Perl, Python UNIX Scripting
- Generally requires 5-8 years related experience
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex or any other legally protected category.