Senior iOS Software Engineer, VIPER Mobile PlayerPlatform
As an iOS mobile engineer on the PlayerPlatform team, you will develop client-side libraries that are used by millions of people to stream Live, On-Demand, and Recorded content on their mobile devices.
PlayerPlatform is a native SDK that powers the video playback experience in Xfinity TV, Contour2, and FreeRange TV mobile apps. It provides a video player that integrates with our video streaming, content protection (DRM), advertisement, emergency alert, and real-time analytics services. PlayerPlatform strives to provide a high quality, consistent playback experience across all the applications we run on.
Who does the mobile engineer work with?
PlayerPlatform software engineers collaborate with industry experts from many disciplines: software architects, mobile application engineers, big data scientists, and various video streaming technologists. On a daily basis, you will be working on a small scrum team that consists of product owners, software engineers, automation engineers, and quality assurance engineers. You will need to work closely with other technical teams internal and external to Comcast VIPER
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
Comcast manages an enormous amount of on-demand videos and thousands of linear channels. In order to support video playback of all of these different types of content, you will be developing new solutions to support our business as well as improve our customer experience. These features include picture in picture, casting, thumbnail scrubbing, and instant video startup. You will be working on tangible features that are used by millions of Comcast customers.
Where can you make an impact?
Your code will be responsible for all IP video playback streaming that is done at Comcast. It will be run on customers' devices millions of times a week and will be the primary Comcast product that they interact with. You can help improve our video playback experience by developing the most stable, highest quality video player in the industry. You'll be working with the brightest minds in Comcast building a video platform that will power Comcast for years to come. You will drive the future of the IP video industry.
- Build clean API's for video playback on mobile devices
- Build reusable iOS software components
- Design and implement end to end components related to video playback
- Analyze, optimize, and improve the code base
Skills & Requirements
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Swift, Objective C, iOS, and other mobile frameworks
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and how they apply to mobile applications
- Experience designing clean, concise, maintainable APIs
- Experience with multi-threading programing
- Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Familiar with a scripting language
- Ability to design, develop, and integrate a solution to completion
- Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
Based in downtown Denver, Colorado, VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology. Product. Xperience. organization and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in and out of the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer