Big Data Analyst
Data analysis and visualization skills combined with the demands of a high volume, highly-visible analytics platform make this an exciting challenge for the right candidate.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
As a data analyst on the Video Reporting (VR) team, you will employ your skills to deliver insights into customer and network behavior on a rapidly-growing video-over-IP platform. The VR team is a small and fast-moving team of talented analysts who are innovating in end-to-end video reporting. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the big data analyst work with?
The VR team is a diverse collection of professionals who work with a variety of teams ranging from software engineering teams whose software integrates with analytics services, service delivery engineers who provide support for our product, testers, operational stakeholders with all manner of information needs, and executives who rely on big data for ad hoc reports and analytical dashboards. We are often called upon in a clinch when it comes to providing the solution to a question that nobody else can answer.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
In your role, you will wear a variety of hats.
Dive deep into learning from big data, achieving a deeper understanding of our data than anyone else in the company. Determining the best visualization to communicate this understanding to stakeholders. Iteratively working with users to produce the reports and dashboards needed for them to perform their jobs. As you develop your career, you will apply statistics, machine learning, and other data science techniques to obtain valuable insights that may not be immediately obvious.
You will interact with systems capable of processing billions of events per day, providing both a real time and historical view into the operation of our video-over-IP systems. Optimize metrics gathering and reporting for performance, using the best tool for the job. Work with open source and vendor-provided analytics and visualization tools.
Monitor data for quality to ensure that our platform remains the best possible source of data for use in making business decisions. Work with data providers to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve sources of data inaccuracy.
As the Video Reporting team delves into new functional areas, conduct research into new data domains. Work with domain experts and the big data teammates to design new event model specifications and to understand the general reporting requirements associated with them.
Where can you make an impact?
We are responsible for providing a high quality experience for our consumers. Using big data technology, our challenge is to assist our stakeholders in instrumenting our network, our customer's behavior, and the experience they receive consuming our services. Being able to demonstrate how we are doing in meeting these needs is key to the success of the next generation of video delivery.
- Requirements and design for system capabilities to support stakeholder needs
- Ad hoc data analysis and visualization
- Creation and maintenance of reports and dashboards
- Statistical analysis to identify correlations within the data
Here are some of the specific technologies we use:
- Databricks Analytics Platform
- Zeppelin/Jupyter notebooks
- Apache Pig
- Apache Hive
- AWS suite of applications
Skills & Requirements
- 3+ years data analysis and reporting experience
- Experience with commercial reporting and visualization tools
- Experience with one or more notebook technologies
- Experience working with very large data sets
- 2+ years working with relational databases
- Experience with extract, transform and load (ETL) processing in a data warehouse environment
- Ability to design data models for use in messaging specifications and data stores designed for efficient data analytics
- Statistical analysis skills highly desirable. (Including tools such as R)
- Willingness to learn new technologies and to get hands dirty (including code) in a technical environment
- Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Analytical rigor you're disciplined in your approach to problem solving
- Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
- Experience with IP Video technologies is a plus
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer