Director, Product Development & Engineering
Comcast's Technology, Product & Experience (TPX) organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience.
From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
You must be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, eager and willing to work collaboratively with stakeholders in adjacent products and organizations. Must have no less than 7 years proven track record of rapidly delivering video technology products to market.
Previous experiences should include projects with a mix of software and hardware dependencies in a video engineering capacity. Technical architecture and strategy experience with a track record of building successful technical teams are essential.
The ideal candidate will understand how to create an inclusive and diverse work environment with an eye towards performance, personnel development and staffing flexibility. We invest in people similar to how we invest in technology and all leadership positions are accountable for career pathing, leadership development and constant coaching.
- Provide engineering leadership within the VACT organization. Coordinate across peer teams and other departments to provide high quality execution and delivery
- Assist with technical strategy, architecture and operational readiness for all new initiatives for new technology initiatives
- Contributes in the creation of new product ventures from operational perspective, including process to hire technical leaders, setting budget and goals, and guiding decision making around external collaborations/investments
- Develop and maintain relationships with all necessary internal engineering organizations, and technology vendors to ensure a well-integrated development process and technical outcomes across platforms
- Manage and drive technical elements of projects from the planning stage through prototype and implementation
- Participate in the professional development for employees including coaching, mentoring, succession planning and organizational refinement
- Partners with other leaders within the VACT organization in delivering a unified approach to strategic initiatives, staffing approaches, departmental direction and staff development
- Perform financial analysis for engineering development and technical operations
- Support our position as the industry leader for compression and distribution
Skills & Requirements
- Keen business process intuition, strong interpersonal skills, and a team-player approach
- Proven ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- 10+ years of hand-on video technology experience, 7+ years of engineering team management, 5+ years in technical leadership roles.
- Understanding of REST/SOAP/JSON APIs.
- Understanding cloud-based infrastructures such as AWS, GPC and Azure
- CS, EE Advanced degree or equivalent experience.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to drive innovation through a complex organization
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with ability to articulate complex technology simply
- Able to confront tasks and problems with an innovative and open mind approach
About Comcast VACT (Video Acquisition and Compression Technology)
VACT(Video Acquisition & Compression Technology),is a startup division within Comcast's Technology, Product and Experience (TPX) Organization which supports all QAM and IP Video distribution for Comcast and our Syndication partners. We are based in Centennial, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer