Sr. Manager, User Research
Comcast is looking for an experienced user research professional to join our highly respected in-house practice. The Senior Manager, User Research will work closely with the Design, Product and Business teams to identify, design and execute on studies that will help Comcast continue to deliver profitable products and services that put the user first. The Senior Manager, User Research will also directly manage a small team of internal researchers and oversee external agency engagements.
The Comcast User Research team supports a range of cutting edge interactive products on multiple platforms (mobile, TV UI and online), as well as print & product design, industrial design and service design initiatives. The team enjoys great flexibility and autonomy in designing research initiatives and employing a wide variety of qualitative methods. The successful candidate will be a rising leader, excited by the opportunity to oversee multi-faceted behavioral research initiatives, translating insights to highly engaged internal stakeholders and impacting products that touch millions of households.
Strategic Research Planning
- Create and manage the user research roadmap for a product line that includes both generative and evaluative activities to gain user insights, validate concepts, refine and iterate on existing products and uncover new product or business opportunities.
- Align roadmap with market research and analytics initiatives.
- Foster relationships with design and product leadership to continually refine strategic research plans and create collaborative, working partnerships.
- Build partnerships with market research and business intelligence teams.
User Research Execution
- Oversee execution of studies by team members and/or lead individual studies end-to-end:
o Ensure proper methodology selection, screener and discussion guide development.
o Consult on preparation of research stimuli with designers and prototypers.
o Facilitate and observe studies in our in-house user research lab and in the field
o Analyze and synthesize findings with business analytics, past relevant research, market research and other secondary sources
o Translate insights into actionable recommendations
o Deliver insights in high impact deliverables and presentations
o Follow through on the impact of each study
- Assist in managing agency engagements including RPF development and SOW review.
- Oversee and direct agency work, direct outputs as needed.
- Contribute to team efforts to create and iterate on cumulative, overarching research outputs including mental models, process maps, personas, and position papers.
- Train, coach, direct researchers and research contractors to work effectively.
- Manage small team of direct reports, including annual reviews and career mentorship.
- Assist in recruitment and interviewing of UX research staff as capacity grows.
- Support Sr. Director in resourcing assignments.
Research Practice Development
- Assist Sr. Director in overarching initiatives that evangelize and grow the influence and awareness of user research at Comcast.
- Maintain and contribute to the team toolbox of research methods and techniques; pilot new research methods and/or processes.
- Optimize and maintain team work processes, models, materials and equipment.
- Maintain the highest standards quality, and lead by example in delivering best in class outputs that ensure that projects are delivered to expectations and on time.
- Ensure a positive, collaborative cross-functional atmosphere.
- Attend and/or present at industry events, maintain currency with the UX research field; share and present case studies, industry knowledge and best practices with the research team and also to the broader, overarching UX team.
- Degree in Cognitive Science, Psychology, Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Human Factors, or related discipline or equivalent experience preferred. Masters degree a plus.
- 7+ years leading user research studies end-to-end, from planning, recruiting and moderating to analyzing data, documenting insights and presenting findings.
- 3+ years managing leading and managing a team of researchers.
- Expert knowledge of user research methods used to gather qualitative and quantitative data (e.g. contextual interviews, usability testing, ethnographic field research, diary studies, panel research, survey development, heuristic reviews, secondary research analysis, competitive analysis, etc.)
- Expert participant facilitation/moderation skills.
- Analytical problem-solving skills, outstanding writing and presentation skills; must be comfortable presenting to executive level audience and large groups.
- Experience with remote research and tools such as usertesting.com
- Experience with MORAE, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office; experience with rendering and editing video a plus.
- Ability to organize and prioritize while working on multiple, simultaneous projects of varied size and complexity.
- Desire to continually stay current with technology, trends, tools and industry standards in usability and user research.
- Experience in Information Architecture, Interaction Design and/or Visual Design a plus.
- Some travel will be required (25%) to the Philadelphia headquarters or for field research.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance..
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer