Systems Integration Engineer, VIDEO Platform Engineering
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment? Do you thrive on solving problems that lead to unblocking issues with a service and or technology?
The Platform Delivery Engineering team is a growing, fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end IP video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility. The team is driving the delivery of many cutting-edge changes to how Comcast delivers IP video to customers.The Systems Intergration Engineeris the technical counterpart to the Project Manager on IP Video projects, and is accountable for the overall project technical solution. This engineeringrole gets involved early in the project lifecycle and continues to support the technical solution beyond successful deployment, ensuring detailed software designs, infrastructure, and operational support meet the project objective.
Who does the Systems Integration Engineerwork with?
The Systems Integration Engineeris the glue' that brings together the project's technical solution. Throughout the life of the project, the Systems Integration Engineerwill collaboratively work with many project stakeholders, including the project manager, architect, software development leads, infrastructure team, network engineers, system administrators and Comcast leadership. The broader Platform Delivery Engineering team is a diverse collection of software engineers, systems administrators, and network administrators from all walks of life.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
In this role, you will bridge many technical gaps during the life of a project. Examples include:
- Design and drive the implementation of an IP Video solution, both for Comcast and for companies external to Comcast.
- Lead troubleshooting efforts to find root causes and corrective actions throughout the life of a project.
- Create and validate system capacity plans.
- Identify and create advanced application monitoring (Splunk, ELK) for improved reliability.
- Establish automated application deployments to various environments (Kubernetes, Helm).
- Develop scripts and utilities to automate data collection.
- Evaluate new code releases for basic reliability and systems integration support.
- Provide guidance to QA teams who will perform functional and load testing.
- Design technical systems solutions and provide hands-on project support to implement advanced IP video technologies and services.
- Assist development teams by deploying and configuring components in various environments.
- Troubleshoot and triage services and solutions.
- Design and collaboratively drive delivery of scalable software solutions.
- Development of tools and processes for managing Unix servers.
- Development and execution of load, capacity, longevity and stress testing of systems.
- Development of execution harnesses, systems validation tools and code performance validation tools.
- Testing and certification of code and systems releases from core vendors.
Here are some of the specific technologies we use for Delivery Engineering:
- DevOps Tools: Splunk, Kubernetes, Docker, Sysdig, Prometheus, Git, Helm, Concourse, Jenkins
- Open Source Technologies: Nginx, PostgreSQL, Varnish, Apache Tomcat, HAProxy, Redis, Kafka
- General Knowledge: Linux, MPEG, HTTP Adaptive Streaming, IP Networking, VMWare, OpenStack
Familiarity with the following industry specifications and standards is helpful but not required:
- CableLabs Event Signaling and Management (ESAM)
- CableLabs Event Signaling and Notification Interface (ESNI)
- Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE-35)
- Digital Video Ad Serving Template (VAST)
- CableLabs Encoder Boundary Point (EBP)
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in software development and/or DevOps engineering.
- Experience with a variety of Unix/Linux automation and scripting languages such as Python, Bash, or Puppet.
- Experience writing core programming languages such as Go, Java or C/ C++.
- Experience gathering requirements and supporting advanced software development teams in an agile environment.
- Ability to plan, organize and document complex system designs.
- Understanding how to scale applications depending on load.
- Knowledge of networking concepts (VLAN, TCP/IP, Multicast, Unicast, OSI).
- Experience with developing advanced application performance monitoring.
- Ability to navigate Unix operating systems.
- Strong presentation and communication skills to explain system designs and technologies to senior leadership.
- Ability to collaborate with peers and stakeholders around system designs
- High attention to detail and strong ability to problem solve systems issues.
- Experience with CI/CD methodologies.
- Willing to take ownership of problems and independently drive them to resolution.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated and handle multiple priorities.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer