Senior Data Engineer
Data engineering and data science skills combined with the demands of a high volume, highly-visible analytics platform make this an exciting challenge for the right candidate.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly-motivated team environment?
As a Senior Data engineer in Comcast dx, you will research, develop, support and deploy solutions using real-time distributing computing architectures. You will also employ your skills to deliver insights into customer and network behavior on a rapidly-growing video-over-IP platform. The dx data engineering team is a fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the data engineer work with?
Data engineering is a diverse collection of professionals who work with a variety of teams ranging from other engineering teams whose software integrates with analytics services, service delivery engineers who provide support for our products, testers, operational stakeholders with all manner of information needs, and executives who rely on data to make decisions.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
Develop systems capable of processing millions of events per second and multi-billions of events per day, providing both a real time and historical view into the operation of our wide-array of systems. Design collection and enrichment system components for quality, timeliness, scale and reliability. Work on high performance real-time data stores and a massive historical data store using best-of-breed and industry leading technology. Design, develop, and apply advanced statistical methods and Machine Intelligence algorithms.
Where can you make an impact?
Comcast dx is building the core components needed to drive the next generation of data platforms and data processing capability. Building data products, identifying trouble spots, and optimizing the overall user experience is a challenge that can only be met with a robust data architecture capable of providing insights that would otherwise be drowned in an ocean of data.
Success in this role is best enabled by a broad mix of skills and interests ranging from traditional distributed systems software engineering prowess to the multidisciplinary field of data science.
- Lead development for new products
- Analyze massive amounts of data both in real-time and batch processing
- Prototype ideas for new tools, products and services
- Employ rigorous continuous delivery practices managed under an agile software development approach
- Raise the bar for the Engineering team by advocating leading edge practices such as CI/CD, containerization and TDD
- Enhance our DevOps practices to deploy and operate our systems
- Automate and streamline our operations and processes
- Build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in our development, test and production environments
Here are some of the specific technologies we use:
- Spark Streaming and Batch
- Kafka, AWS Kinesis
- Avro, Parquet
- MemSQL, Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB
- Java, Scala, Go
- Git, Maven, Jenkins
- Rancher, Puppet, Docker, Kubernetes
- Hadoop (HDFS, YARN)
Skills & Requirements:
- 5+ years programming experience
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Statistics or related discipline
- Experience in software development of large-scale distributed systems including proven track record of delivering backend systems that participate in a complex ecosystem
- Experience in data related technologies and open source frameworks preferred
- Proficient in Unix/Linux environments
- Test-driven development/test automation, continuous integration, and deployment automation
- Enjoy working with data analysis, data quality and reporting
- Excellent communicator, able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Great design and problem solving skills
- Adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Keen attention to detail and high level of commitment
- Thrives in a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets
About Comcast dx:
Comcast dx is a result driven engineering team responsible for the delivery of multi-tenant data infrastructure and platforms necessary to support our data-driven culture and organization. dx has an overarching objective to gather, organize, and make sense of Comcast data with intention to reveal business and operational insight, discover actionable intelligence, enable experimentation, empower users, and delight our stakeholders. Members of the dx team define and leverage industry best practices, work on extremely large scale data problems, design and develop resilient and highly robust distributed data organizing and processing systems and pipelines as well as research, engineer, and apply data science and machine intelligence disciplines.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer