Dev Rack QA Engineer
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating exciting products like the X1 Video Gateway, XB broadband gateways, wireless router technology, and new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
We have an exciting role for a QA Test Engineer on Comcast's Consumer Products Test team within the Premises Technology Comcast India organization. Our team works closely with our internal and external development partners to develop and conduct quality certification tests on Comcast's video and broadband customer premises equipment (CPE) products. Efforts within the Consumer Products Test team help ensure a world-class customer experience for the millions of Comcast customers on our X1 platform applications and more!
We are looking for a highly motivated technical person with RDKB expertise who will help drive change and help others to constantly come up with better solutions to evaluate product quality, performance and the customer experience; as well as make suggestion for improvements. We are looking for someone who does not just know how to solve problems, but who helps define the problems and direction, creates value, and pioneers new frontiers in Quality Assurance.
The QA Eng 3 will be responsible for designing, developing, implementing and executing tests for Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) video and broadband products. Using significant levels of available test automation, the engineer will support fast-paced testing of video products and ensure that test programs are delivered at high quality, on-schedule, on-budget and successfully deployed to the field. Assists in managing project teams, developing test strategies, and designing quality assurance practices. Able to deployment manual/automation solutions to the fast-paced dev ops paradigm, quickly tailoring solutions to help identify, reproduce, and triage lab/field defects. Able to establish and maintain product test standards, procedures and methods to enable seamless and efficient hardware/software product releases. Integrates knowledge of business and functional priorities. Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. May lead teams or projects and shares expertise.
Experience/ Technical Skills
- BS degree or higher in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
- 2-5 years of experience in QA testing with hands on experience in different kinds of testing
- Basic understanding of LAN/WAN architectures and Wi-Fi standards
- Excellent Debugging skills & experience troubleshooting
- Understanding of video product regulatory requirements and test in areas such closed captioning, EAS, IP video streaming, audio/video codec; Dolby Digital Plus, Bluetooth Distribution, EAC3, and other
- Experience with video protocols and DVR, VOD, ip apps.
- Experience working with Telemetry data and analysis.
- Understanding of DAC and Headend w.r.t the Cable card.
- Strong troubleshooting and root-cause-analysis skills; able to work with cross-functional team triage
- Strong scripting proficiency in Linux or Unix based shell environment, command-line tools for analysis, and automation. Solid understanding of networking in Linux and test tools.
- Basic level knowledge of Python
- Experience in Agile/Scrum methodology ideally in a fast-paced devops environment
- Experience working with industry standard Routers & Switches.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in team environments
- Strong written and verbal communications skills; able to effectively present to varied audiences
- Hands-on experience with device/consumer products test, ideally in high performance video applications.
- Ability to identify problems or opportunities within the scope of the department's projects
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance; able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary
- Basic experience working with TCP/IP, UDP, IPv4, IPv6 addressing, Ethernet, VLAN, ATM, PPP, DHCP, DNS, ICMP, ARP, NAT, Bridging, Switching, QOS, Multicast, IGMP v2/3 and Firewalls Experience with Performance/Load testing will be added advantage
- Familiarity with analyzers Wireshark & Ethereal
- Experience with broadband product test including DOCSIS, cable modem standards, digital voice and other
- Proven ability to works with technology partner/vendor teams to troubleshoot problems
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Assists in developing test strategies, and designing quality assurance practices; leads and able to contribute to engineering investigations which includes identifying, reproducing, and resolving product defects
- Responsible for White Box and Black box testing of the CPE products and interfaces.
- Collaborates with Product and Development teams to identify product and technical requirements
- Communicates with tool development teams to make best use of automation for new test features introduced.
- Reviews and verifies requirements and design specifications for validity in overall product design, with an emphasis towards product testability and verification
- Assists in developing Quality Assurance test philosophies and methodologies; assists in identifying viable test strategies in order to support testing product functionality
- Familiar with advanced video test automation frameworks and industry trends
- Reviews project progress, evaluates results and recommends corrections in technical applications and analysis
- Assist in the identification and resolution of problems and defects; able to initiate investigation processes, identifies and reproduces bugs or defects and drives issues and improvements to resolution
- Ability to correlate issues created by multiple tested to one larger feature bug.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer