Engineer 3, Video Engineer
Responsible for being the escalation point-of-contact for all break/fix, maintenance, or events related to VOD and DNCS/DAC issues for the TES organization. Provides subject matter expertise for VOD and DNCS/DAC and works closely with other engineering teams. Responds to escalations and resolves issues that arise from hardware and software failures. Manages network tuning, performance and designs strategies, and makes recommends to improve network performance.
Responds to network incidents, determines resources needed for correction and corrects or leads team involved in resolving incident. Has in-depth experience, knowledge and skills in own discipline. Usually determines own work priorities. Acts as resource for colleagues with less experience.
Required skills and experience:
- Administer SeaChange VOD back office systems
- Perform maintenance, upgrades, and troubleshooting on SeaChange VOD systems
- Administer content ingest systems
- Configure and troubleshoot pumps and streamers from several vendors
- Configure and troubleshoot QAM edge devices from several vendors
- Participates in the review of video failures, as appropriate, and provides feedback to prevent future occurrences within the established post mortem process.
- Accountable for video configuration audits and adherence to the golden configuration.
- Uses all available tools to monitor and isolate IP video outages and impairments.
- Maintains all IP video delivery devices (i.e. RPD's, OM-1000's, and NC-1500's.)
- Performs MPEG troubleshooting through a variety of highly complex analytical duties in the testing and evaluation of Comcast's network.
- Provides operational support for the DAC and DNCS in conjunction with engineering and AVS.
- Directs Headend Technician(s) in troubleshooting network issues for video, ADS, and Switched Digital video.
- Measures volume and performance of the network traffic; identifies utilization and performance issues; designs strategies and recommendations to improve network performance. Provides necessary support for additions and changes.
- Devises and implements strategies for solving network issues or increasing network performance, including the development and production of network system documentation and instructional and procedural
manuals for other employees to utilize in order to resolve problems or make network improvements.
- Monitors and isolates outages and impairments.
- Engineer 3 performing Systems Desk Specific function performs the following: Designs and creates tools that gather and integrate data from disparate systems (such as Comcast billing, ticketing, provisioning, and network monitoring systems, among others.) Designs, codes, tests, deploys, and evaluates highly reliable programs in Python, Perl, C, C++, C#.
- Develops practices and procedures for network troubleshooting, maintenance and operation.
- Exercises judgment during incident management, site design, network configuration and network activation to ensure efficient use of funds and time.
- Develops and maintains network element documentation and inventory. Maintains appropriate inventory or network spare equipment for rapid restoration.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Periodic travel to other local locations as needed, <10% of the time.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Consistently meet deadlines, work with a sense of urgency
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Strong working knowledge of Outlook, MS Office programs etc.
- Working experience with cable modems, eMTAs, and STBs
- Must be very detailed oriented and have a passion for accuracy and completeness
- Configuring & troubleshooting Cisco Digital Network Cable Systems (DNCS, QAMs, QPSKs, etc.)
- Understanding of VOD system lifecycle, configuration and maintenance
- Releases of the BO SW (Axiom, OpenStream etc.), Patches, Hot Fixes, PCRs
- Installing and roll-back of new releases, Patches, Hot Fixes, PCRs
- Diagnostics, troubleshooting and replacement of the HW (bad drives, NICs, etc)
- Understanding, ability to diagnose and troubleshoot VOD Back Office issues
- Ingest of content (legacy, NGOD)
- Content propagation
- Content formats (MPEG 1080p, HD vs SD, suspendable/non-suspendable assets)
- VOD BO navigation native and UDB formats
- VOD BO entitlement and relationship with billing (legacy vs. CEMP)
- Understanding of the process of metadata updates
- When it takes place, what is modified, how it gets implemented
- Understanding, ability to diagnose and troubleshoot streaming issues
- VOD Pumps legacy (SeaChange native Stargen, MDS, HDS, ENCL vs. NGOD pumps (B1, M3, Cisco CDS, Verivue etc)
- Streaming technology (VMCA server, OSTR)
- Playlists support and dynamic ad insertion
- Understanding the concept of NGOD technology, familiarity with interfaces (E, C, A, R, W, TS )
- Must have good communication skills, working in teams and as an individual contributor
- Ability to clearly and concisely describe problems in both written and oral forms and communicate both orally and in writing in a clear, professional and pleasant manner.
- Must be willing to accept additional assignments, and take the lead, and assist other team members as necessary
Self-motivated with desire for continuous learning
Preferred skills and experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Generally, requires 5-8 years of related experience.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer