Software Engineering Manager, VIPER PlayerPlatform
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
We are looking for a manager level candidate to lead the IOS Software Development Team to develop, support, and enhance the next generation of IP Video Players. The Player Platform is a high-volume, highly availability SDK that allows millions of customers to watch content, on any device, at any time. The team is a group of highly intelligent and collaborative engineers, and we are looking for someone with passion and a hands-on style to make sure that the team has everything they need to be successful.
Who does the IOS Manager of Engineering work with?
The person in this position will lead a highly skilled engineering team developing software for the next generation of IP Video Players for IOS devices. The manager will work with other delivery owners, delivery engineers, and technical platform owners to ensure all development meet specifications and requirements.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
The manager will be responsible for providing leadership and oversight to all aspects of the Software Development and Engineering department's projects and activities. Develops and implements strategies, project standards, and performance metrics. Ensures all applications meet project specifications and requirements.
You will be solving how to deliver video efficiently to millions of users all over continental US and other countries. You will be designing and developing system for handling ad insertion on the fly inside the client.
In your role, you will be technically and socially bridging all internal groups within VIPER. You will be interacting with teams that use our product to build consumer facing applications, internal testing platforms, and research and development projects.
This position focuses on iOS team leadership, but could include other mobile platforms based on you're preference. The Player Platform currently runs on iOS, Android, Desktop (Flash & JS), Set Top Boxes, Xbox, and Samsung Smart TVs.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to while we roll out the IP video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages while delivering video at Comcast scale.
- Assists in the development of short, medium, and long term plans to achieve strategic objectives that are in alignment with the company's vision and business goals.
- Leads the Software Development and Engineering team in the development for the next generation of IP Video Players. Oversees implementation initiatives, software updates, and the roll-out of new software releases.
- Regularly interacts across functional areas with senior management to report on project progress and ensure unit objectives are met.
- Ability to influence thinking or gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations.
- Demonstrated leadership and people management skills.
- Strong communication skills, analytical skills, thorough understanding of product development.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Other assigned duties.
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ year's overall experience
- B.S. Compute Science or a degree in related field
- Strong leadership abilities with a track record of delivering exceptional results.
- Proven hands-on experience in developing and deploying software for a high-volume, highly scalable and fault-tolerant environments supporting millions of users.
- Experience running agile based development teams, organizing and coordinating various teams.
- Background in Video Technologies with experience in cloud IP Video Players.
- Expert knowledge of IP Video delivery formats: HLS.
- Expert knowledge of IP Video Digital Rights Management formats: Fairplay, PlayReady, WideVine.
- Experience in different programming languages: C, Objective C, Swift.
- Experience developing software for Networking, Web services, HTTP, and TCP/IP.
- Intensive knowledge of Software Design Patterns.
- Good communicator, excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly.
- Excellent problem solving skills, adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER(Video IP Engineering & Research), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects that originated within Comcast Interactive Media. We are based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams, and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer