Video Platform Engineering - Senior Systems Engineer
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment? Do you thrive on solving problems that lead to unblocking issues with a service and or technology?
As a Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for engineering, management, and operational oversight of all development lab server systems including virtualization, network, compute, and storage platforms. Responsibilities include oversight and development of infrastructure engineering projects, plans, and roadmaps including scope definition, budgeting, technical vendor management, and resource planning. Working with functional and business units on assessment of priorities and impact, this individual will facilitate upgrades to existing systems and deploy new infrastructure necessary to support required service levels, including high availability objectives. Additionally, this position is responsible for architectural and lifecycle asset planning, maintenance and patching events, and directing the timely resolution of lab system service disruptions.
This is a multi-faceted position that requires the ability to work effectively and efficiently in teams, independently create and maintain a variety of environments and architectures, adapt to and quickly learn new systems and technologies, and handle multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously with a high level of attention to detail and minimal oversight.
Who does the Systems Engineer work with?
Systems engineers are positioned as an integral part of the overall IP video engineering team and work very closely with all facets of the engineering organization. They work with core infrastructure development teams, quality assurance teams, service delivery teams and daily operations teams. Engineers work with network engineers, systems administrators, software engineers, and a pile of technically-adept-but-not-actually-technical product folks. The engineering team is a diverse collection of software engineers, systems administrators, network administrators, puppet developers, and quality assurance engineers from all walks of life. They are a group of experienced technical minds who are the last word when it comes to solving problems encountered by our engineering and operations teams.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
In your role, you will bridge the gap between various application development teams and infrastructure management, deployment and operations teams. You will lead the architecture and design of cloud infrastructure components. As a Systems Engineer you will provide technical supervision and management of lab environments, providing recommendations to improve deployment velocity of systems components in the lab and production environments. You will lead the development of best practices to improve quality and reliability of the cloud infrastructure supporting IP video services, as well as leading reliability initiatives to better support development, integration engineering and QA teams by providing guidance to how best to test and certify various infrastructure components. Additionally, you will generate and validate documentation of systems architectures, systems solutions, configurations and troubleshooting guides for the VIPER cloud infrastructure.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to roll out a large scale cloud based video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television and video entertainment. Success in this role is characterized by a higher speed to market, with fewer customer-facing defects and outages.
- Architect, design, recommend, develop, evaluate and implements technical systems infrastructure solutions to support development and deployment of advanced IP video technologies and services.
- Support Platform CI/CD Development initiatives to assist in the deployment, research and augmentation of platform automation in order to remove manual operations.
- Collaborates with and obtains buy-in from peers and leadership for technical standards and innovation.
- Assume the role of an infrastructure subject matter expert within multiple cross-functional service teams.
- Represents the platform infrastructure team on projects and performs the role of team resource and/or lead as appropriate.
- Ability to convey advanced technical information to team members, along with the ability to communicate technical information in general terms that users can understand.
- Develop and deliver self-service resource provisioning, providing a consistent user experience for VIPER IP video engineering and development teams.
- Regularly creates and maintains system documentation, procedures, diagrams, and standards
- Perform advanced systems engineering related designs, upgrades, conversions, and troubleshooting.
- Lead configuration management for multiple infrastructure domains.
- Standardization and execution of load, fault tolerance, longevity and stress testing of systems.
- Certify new technologies for use in the lab and production environments.
- Fulfill the role of Tier 3 and above for escalated production service support.
- Willing to continuously learn and keep current on industry standards, emerging technologies, and services for the development of infrastructure roadmaps.
Here are some of the specific technologies you can expect to use within VIPER Platform Engineering:
- Operating Systems & Applications
- CentOS, CoreOS Linux
- Jira & Confluence
- Virtualization Platforms
- VMware vSphere, vCenter, vCloud, vRA
- Kubernetes & Docker
- Compute & Storage Platforms
- Cisco UCS
- Generic Compute
- Distributed Object Storage
- Cleversafe Object Storage
- NetApp storage solutions
Skills & Requirements
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in systems administration and engineering.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience in managing large scale distributed infrastructure and converged platforms.
- Strong experience gathering requirements and supporting advanced software development teams in an agile environment.
- Strong ability to collaborate with peers and stakeholders around system designs, capacity, road maps and resource allocation.
- Quick grasp of strategic and tactical requirements with the ability to propose creative and effective solutions.
- Experience with developing and enforcing standards and best practices in managing large scale cloud infrastructure.
- Strong experience with infrastructure sizing and scaling dependent upon application load and demand.
- Highly proficient in managing Linux based systems and cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with a variety of Unix/Linux automation and scripting languages such as Python, BASH, Puppet.
- High availability experience including clustering, load balancing (F5 LTM and GTM, IPVS).
- Deep understanding of mid and high range storage solutions such as NetApp (7-mode and Cluster Mode).
- Proficiency with the following:
- VMware 5/6, CoreOS/Docker/Kubernetes
- DNS, DHCP, PXE booting and Apache/HTTP
- Blade server architectures, Generic Compute Platforms
- NAS/NFS/Object storage technologies
- Experience with distributed and scaled systems architectures.
- Advanced networking experience including VLANs, LACP, vPC/MLAG, TCP/IP, Multicast, Unicast, spanning tree.
- Experience with OpenStack Cloud Computing.
- Experience with CI/CD methodologies.
- Experience with large scale infrastructure automation.
- Experience with distributed system architectures.
- Knowledge of Hyper-converged and Immutable Infrastructure.
- Strong communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies.
- Ability to propose systems design and configuration improvements.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated and handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to plan, organize and document complex system designs.
- High attention to detail and strong ability to problem solve systems issues.
- Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution for all escalations for systems infrastructure related issues.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
About Comcast Video Platform Engineering and Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
Video Platform Engineering is a new organization within Comcast's Technology and Product Division with the responsibility of architecting, engineering and coordinating deployment of large scale distributed infrastructure and platforms to host Comcast's IP Video Delivery software stacks.
VIPER(Video IP Engineering & Research), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer