Senior Director, VIPER Architecture
We are looking for an outstanding Senior Director level candidate to lead the VIPER Architecture Team. This is a strategic role, reporting to the Vice President of Software Engineering at VIPER.
What is the VIPER Architecture Team?
The VIPER Architecture team consists of 6 highly skilled software and video architects responsible for designing the systems that deliver IP Video at Comcast scale. At VIPER, we securely deliver on-demand, linear, and time-shifted (cloud DVR) content; allowing for dynamically inserted ads and honoring distribution rights (blackouts) based on device locations and types. These architects define and refine the North Star vision for the systems that deliver IP video at Comcast. And, they help hundreds of software engineers navigate toward that North Star through incremental releases of dozens of software components.
Who does the leader of VIPER Architecture work with?
As Senior Director of VIPER Architecture, you will be working with the best and the brightest minds in the IP Video industry. You will drive the evolution of the VIPER architecture in collaboration with peers from network engineering, advanced advertising, CPE engineering, video metadata specialists and the X1 Platform. You will partner with senior engineering leadership to create implementation strategies and roadmaps. You will represent VIPER and its architecture in strategic discussions with executives.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
You will lead the architectural evolution of the video delivery platform that powers one of the most used video experience in the United States and Canada on different devices such as STB, computer, mobile and connected devices such as SmartTVs. You will simplify and improve our current architecture using lessons learned from DevOps. You will replace jet engines while still flying.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll join a team that is rapidly changing the landscape of TV and redefining the industry through its video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. You work will enable first-to-market video features for tens of millions of customer devices, all day, every day. You can help influence leading edge streaming video technology standards with real world lessons learned by being a first implementer. Replace expensive vendor-provided solutions with better, more stable, more operable platforms, and see your that contributions will have multi-million dollar impacts to the bottom line.
- Leads the strategy for evolving the IP Video delivery architecture at Comcast
- Attract, develop and grow a team of software and systems architects
- Set a team vision and build a strong environment of innovation and collaboration
- Balance team investment in short-term incremental solution architecture with the long-term north-star architecture definition
- Provide architectural roadmaps based on vetted engineering capacity models
- Negotiate solution scope between multiple engineering teams
- Incorporate feedback from engineering and operations into the architectural roadmap
- Update and consult with senior executives on video delivery architecture
Skills & Requirements
- Expertise in video streaming formats and standards (HLS, DASH)
- Expertise in audio and video codecs (h.262, h.264, h.265, AC3, AC-3, E-AC-3)
- Familiarity with one or more Internet ad service systems (Freewheel, DoubleClick, etc)
- Familiarity with one or more DRM technology (FAXS, PlayReady, Widevine, FairPlay)
- Familiarity with advertising signaling models and specifications (SCTE-35, SCTE-130, VAST)
- Familiarity with blackout management solutions and specifications (SCTE-224)
- Great design and problem-solving skills, with a strong bias for architecting at scale
- Strong analytical & strategic planning skills; ability to set clear objectives and priorities to drive execution
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills, ability to build and maintain relationships, to influence without direct authority
- Demonstrated ability to gather requirements across diverse functional areas and convert them into a compelling architecture
- Demonstrated ability to foster innovation
- Understanding of RESTful design principals
- Good communicator; able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field, MS highly preferred
- 10+ years industry experience in video delivery
- 4+ years managing a team of technologists
- Willingness to travel for meetings and conferences
- Conference speaking experience a plus
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER(Video IP Engineering & Research), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer