Sr. Software Engineer - Java
Metadata Senior Software Engineer
The CoMPASS (Comcast Metadata Products and Search Services) team is building a world-class API platform for delivering metadata content to X1 TV set-top boxes, mobile apps, recommendation engines, and other clients. Our platform is designed to handle hundreds of millions of requests supporting millions of customers a day. In order to provide a smooth and rich experience for our customers, we focus on four primary attributes during our design and development:
- Scalability-our code is written to scale horizontally on nodes in multiple data centers to handle the large request volume.
- Performance-request responsiveness is paramount, which requires us to find solutions to persist data in memory when possible and work with various caching solutions.
- Response Consistency-it is important that we minimize inconsistency across nodes and data centers, which requires us to develop solutions to reduce propagation times across our cluster.
- Resiliency-our services need to be able to continue serving requests even when there are dependent service outages or network partitions.
The Position: Senior Software Engineer
The software engineer on our team is involved in many phases of the development cycle: design, implementation, testing, performance analysis, and deployment. We are looking for someone who enjoys collaborating with others to find new and innovative solutions to solve problems.
- Work with open-ended product descriptions and translate them into great code.
- Write production-quality, well tested code.
- Develop solutions that scale in order to support request volumes that reach into the hundreds of millions a day.
- Write performant code where milliseconds matter; analyze the performance of services, identify non-performant code, and provide solutions to problem areas.
- Participate in research, design, and recommendations for new solutions and technologies.
- Find better ways to monitor our services to identify and alert on potential problems using tools such as Grafana and Splunk.
- Mentor more junior members of the technical staff, performing code reviews, and lead the team to be effective and agile.
- Superior knowledge of Object Oriented design and patterns
- Proficiency with Java
- Exceptional communication skills: verbal, written, listening
- Familiarity with in-memory database such as Hazelcast, Redis, Memcached
- Experience working with and developing in AWS
- Familiarity with messaging solutions such as Kafka, SNS/SQS, RabbitMQ
- Knowledge of SQL and/or NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB)
- Experience with systems monitoring (e.g. Grafana, Splunk Dashboard/Alerting)
- UNIX, Linux, or Mac background
- Understanding of or desire to learn Java code / JVM performance tuning
- Experience with HTTP/REST and writing web services
- Familiarity with a scripting language
- Experience with data modeling in the entertainment domain
- Familiarity with current trends and technologies around the social web
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Generally requires 7+ yearsrelated experience
Military Experience Valued
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer