Eng 3, Software Dev & Engineering
Duties and Responsibilities
This position is HANDS ON with NOSQL (CASSANDRA) Technologies. Individual works with application development and external operations team
- Self-motivated, does not require training or guidance to evaluate new frameworks and easily comes up to speed as self-starter
- Monitor availability and performance of production and development cassandra databases and servers;
- Install new database releases and related software tools to evaluate in CI environment, eventually promote to production;
- Apply software patches and upgrades to server software for cassandra database to stay in compliance with security standards and performance;
- Perform and automate daily database maintenance, user assistance and troubleshooting;
- Sound knowledge about hardware (CPU, memory, disk, network, Firewalls etc).
- Continually improve operational processes and procedures
- Analyze and resolve complex technical problems, including performance tuning, and debugging;
- Some NoSQL data modeling experience
- Monitor database backups and maintain automated disaster recovery procedures;
- Plan database and server level capacity according to statistics and user requests;
- Work through disaster recovery plans with other groups and departments;
- Communicate/work effectively in a team environment.
- Provide 24x7 on-call production support
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science or related engineering discipline and 3+ year experience in IT industry;
- Hands on experience in database administration in particularly nosql cassandra and strong CQL knowledge;
- 3+ year experience with at least one of major database management systems such as Oracle, Sybase or MS SQL server;
- Strong Linux skills, preferably with RedHat/CentOS;
- Hands-on experience in NoSQL administration.
- Experience in bash/Perl or ruby is a must.
- Understanding of one high-level object oriented programming language e.g. C++,Java
- Working knowledge of Splunk, Nagios, Zabbix is a must
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer