Principal Platform Engineer
Platformengineering and data science skills combined with the demands of a high volume, highly-visible analytics platform make this an exciting challenge for the right candidate.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you likebigchallenges and working within ahighly-motivatedteam environment?
As aPlatformengineer inData Platform Engineeringand Research(DPER)team, you will research develop,support and deploy solutions real-time distributing computing architectures.You willalso employ your skills to deliver insights into customer and network behavior on a rapidly-growing video-over-IP platform.TheDPERdatateam is afast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives onbigchallenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does thePlatformengineer work with?
Platformengineering is a diverse collection of professionals who work with a variety of teams ranging from other software engineering teams whose software integrates with analytics services, service delivery engineers who provide support for our product, testers, operational stakeholders with all manner of information needs,and executives who rely ondatafor data based decision making.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
Develop systems capable of processingmillions of events per second and multi-billions of events per day, providing both a real time and historical view into the operation of ourwide-array ofsystems. Design collection and enrichment system components forquality, timeliness,scale and reliability.Work on high performance real time data stores and a massive historical data store usingbest-of-breed and industry leading technology.Build platforms that allow others to design, develop, and apply advanced statistical methods and Machine Intelligence algorithms.
Where can you make an impact?
ComcastDPERis building the core components needed to drive the next generation ofdata platforms and data processing capability.Building data products, identifying trouble spots, and optimizing the overall user experience is a challenge that can only be met with a robustdataarchitecture capable of providing insightsthat would otherwise be drowned in anoceanof data.
Success in this role is best enabled by a broad mix of skills and interests ranging from traditional distributed systems software engineering prowess to the multidisciplinary field of data science.
- Lead development for new platforms
- Build capabilities that analyze massive amounts of databothinreal-time and batch processing
- Prototype ideas for new tools, products and services
- Employ rigorous continuous delivery practices managed under an agile software development approach
- Ensure a quality transition to production andsolid production operationof the platforms
- Raise the bar for the Engineering team by advocating leading edge practices such as CI/CD, containerization and TDD
- Enhance our DevOps practicesto deploy and operate our systems
- Automate and streamline our operations and processes
- Build and maintain tools for deployment,monitoring and operations
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in our development, test andproduction environments
Here are some ofthespecific technologies we use:
- Spark(AWS EMR)
- SparkStreaming and Batch
- MemSQL, Cassandra,HBase,MongoDB
- Caching Frameworks(ElasticCache)
- Java, Scala, Go
- Git,Maven, Jenkins
- Rancher, Puppet, Docker, Kubernetes
- Hadoop (HDFS, YARN)
Skills & Requirements:
- 7+years programming experience
- Bachelors or Masters inComputer Science, Statisticsor related discipline
- Experience in software development of large-scale distributed systems including proven track record of delivering backend systems that participate in a complex ecosystem.
- Experienceindata related technologies and open source frameworks preferred
- ProficientinUnix/Linux environments
- Test-driven development/testautomation, continuous integration, and deployment automation
- Enjoyworking withdata analysis, data quality and reporting
- Excellentcommunicator, able to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly
- Great design and problem solving skills
- Adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership
- Keen attention to detail and high level of commitment
- Thrivesin a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets
About ComcastDPER(Data Platform Engineering and Research):
Data Platforms Engineering and Research(DPER) is a resultdriven, data platform research and engineering team responsible for the delivery of multi-tenant data infrastructure and platforms necessary to support our data-driven culture and organization. DPER has an overarching objective to gather, organize, and make sense of Comcast data with intention to reveal business and operational insight, discover actionable intelligence, enable experimentation, empower users, and delight our stakeholders. Members of the DPER team define and leverage industry best practices, work on extremely large scale data problems, design and develop resilient and highly robust distributed data organizing and processing systems and pipelines as well as research, engineer, and apply data science and machine intelligence disciplines.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer