Director, Product Management - Video Delivery
Comcast's X1 product experience changed the way people think about television. Do you want to shape how people will watch TV next? Can you create and drive the agenda for how leading-edge technology is applied to deliver innovation in the entertainment and digital media services? Do you like big challenges and enjoy collaborating with top-notch engineers to build and deliver big and bold ideas? Stop watching from your couch and grab a seat at the table to shape the future of entertainment.
We are looking to add a Director, Product Management to provide leadership in the maintenance and evolution of how we deliver QAM video content to our customers and our partners, as well as grow and evolve our IP EAS notification service. The Director, Product Management (Video Delivery) will work with our Philadelphia, Denver, Virginia, San Diego, and Sunnyvale-based Product and Engineering teams, to ensure that we continue to provide high-quality QAM video deliver to our customers as we transition to IP-based delivery; and grow our IP EAS notification service to address the new use-cases and opportunities that lie ahead.
This position is located in Philadelphia, PA.
What are the QAM Video Delivery Systems?
The Xfinity QAM video delivery systems provide in-home linear and On Demand video services to almost all Xfinity video customers. Although IP video delivery will eventually replace QAM delivery, QAM will continue to be a vital part of Comcast's infrastructure for several years. Managing dependable and efficient solutions are critical to our strategy.
These systems include: Video OnDemand delivery, Linear video delivery, IP/QAM Convergence platforms, Bulk Video delivery, Provisioning and Conditional Access systems, and Enhanced TV Services (ETV) platforms.
What is the IP EAS Notification System?
The emergency alert system (EAS) sends government alert messages to video customers on all video platforms and devices, in compliance with regulatory requirements. The EAS platforms service both QAM and IP video platforms and Comcast syndication platforms, and we are specifically looking to evolve the IP EAS system capabilities to enhance the experience for our customers.
The IP EAS system includes: ENDEC's, encoders, aggregators, origin servers, CDN's, and client applications.
Who does the Director, Product Management (Video Delivery) work with?
As the Director, Product Management, Video Delivery, you will be working with the best and the brightest product and technology minds at Comcast that are redefining how entertainment services are experienced inside and outside the home through its multi-Emmy award winning X1 platform and it's prior-generation Native (Classic) clients. You will be the champion for customers (end user and/or business customers) and bridge the gap between business and technical to deliver services that customers love, maintaining our high-quality QAM delivery service and assisting with our transition to IP. You will work closely with our engineers to guide products from conception to launch. You will also work with members of the Video Infrastructure Product team as well as product teams in sister organizations such as X1 and Advanced Advertising to drive end-to-end product requirements and support delivery of products and services. You will collaborate with our content owners and business partners to understand their needs, and turn them into successful products/service offerings.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
You will lead the product evolution for QAM Video Delivery and IP EAS. This will be a challenging and interesting experience for several reasons.
- First, in typical Comcast fashion, the company continues to reinvest in core systems. Comcast is executing an unprecedented cable system migration to an all IP delivery and playout environment where the Video Delivery is the core foundation providing video content to the larger video ecosystem.
- Second, the scale of active engineering at Comcast is driving innovation. Solution discoveries continue to be made across the video system at large. Improvements are driving efficiencies to the system, efficiencies to the bottom line, and new & better user experiences for our customers.
- Third, Comcast continues to pursue the best content rights and an ever-expanding entertainment product portfolio. As new products are introduced, Comcast will have further obligations to advance the video system with additional kinds of content to meet and exceed sophisticated consumers (and content provider) interests.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll join a team that is rapidly changing the landscape of TV and redefining the industry through its video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. In your role, you will have opportunity to redefine how TV content is enjoyed inside and outside the home on devices of consumers' choice. Major entertainment and sporting events such as Oscars, Olympics provide you opportunities to innovate and offer new content experiences to customers.
- Take what we have and make it better
- Revise and maintain the QAM video delivery service strategy
- Identify and embrace market- and invention-opportunities
- Translate the strategy into a product roadmap that can be developed/executed
- Be smart
- Work with Research to conduct customer, market, and competitive intelligence
- Spend time with customers understand what they need and why
- Utilize data-driven decision-making to regularly assess performance of products/services and identify areas of opportunity for changes
- Balance your focus between 0-12-month deliverables (80%) and 3-5 year deliverables (20%)
- Tell others what you are doing
- Define, track and improve key product metrics for usage and content consumption
- Communicate with executives & stakeholders on product usage & performance, and gather feedback
- Have passion for television
- Participate in multiple Lab Weeks & hackathons throughout the year
- Experience as a QAM and/or EAS video delivery product owner defining vision and strategy for some of the following:
- QAM cable systems video delivery
- Conditional access systems (Arris and/or Cisco)
- Video pumps
- Endecs and Moore (Monroe) EAS systems
- Enterprise server development and devOps
- Experience managing products
- Ability to negotiate and prioritize requests from multiple stakeholders to maximize the impact and value
- Ability to communicate a vision and drive interest / adoption among multiple stakeholders
- Ability to organizing multiple internal technical teams, as well as vendors for outsourced activities
- Strong analytical & planning skills; know when perfect is the enemy of good
- Good collaboration and interpersonal skills, ability to build and maintain relationships
- Ability to make decisions quickly and independently; good shipped, is better than perfect on paper
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; capable of interacting with customers and Senior Leadership on complex topics
- Ability to travel as needed; typically, 20%
- Conference speaking experience a plus
About Comcast VIDEO
The VIDEO team is an organization within Comcast's Technology and Product group which supports the Product Management, Research & Development, Engineering and Operations for Comcast's World Class Video Experiences in use by Comcast and Syndicated Partners. We support both legacy QAM VIDEO Delivery and the Next Generation IP Video Platform infrastructure from Content Acquisition to the Player Consuming experiences, and control the end-to-end VIDEO delivery platforms. These platforms deliver video for live linear, video on-demand and cloud DVR services consumed by more than 20 million customers both in-home and out of home on STB's, connected TV, mobile and desktop products.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer