Sr. Product Manager, Content Security
Comcast's X1 product experience changed the way people think about television. Do you want to shape how people will watch TV next? Can you drive the agenda for how leading-edge technology is applied to deliver innovation in the entertainment and digital media services? Do you like big challenges and enjoy collaborating with top-notch engineers to build and deliver big and bold ideas? Stop watching from your couch and grab a seat at the table to shape the future of entertainment.
We are looking to add a Product Manager to provide leadership in the evolution of how we secure and protect content for our programming partners and our customers. The Product Manager (Content Security) will work with our Philadelphia, Denver, Virginia, and Sunnyvale-based Product and Engineering teams, to ensure that we are providing the best content security ecosystem for our partners and customers.
This position is located in Philadelphia, PA.
What is the X1 Content Security Ecosystem?
The X1 Content Security Ecosystem is a series of workflows interleaving operations infrastructure, security platforms, and hardened devices integrated to deliver an industry leading security ecosystem enabling a full breadth of media entertainment product offerings for consumers in the home and on the go.
X1 Content Security Ecosystem platforms include: Keying Operations Center, Supply Chain Integration Platform, Certificate Authority, Field Credential Provisioning Platform, Identity Management System, Encryption & DRM System, and multi-DRM Licensing Platform integrated with our back office.
Devices hosting security stacks span servers and millions of client devices including set-tops designed and manufactured by Comcast, third-party set-tops, Internet-connected Televisions, and IOS, Android, & Personal Computing devices.
Each host security stack, whether client or server, are hardened by a layered security model. Closed devices, including clients and servers, are founded on secure boot and hardware crypto modules while open clients are founded on software crypto modules. A series of security layers, such as Trusted Execution and Security Logic, is then integrated up to branches of security application logic facilitating orchestration with broader standards-based, vendor proprietary, and custom security frameworks such as Identity Management, 3rd Party DRM, and Device Credential Management frameworks.
The collection of frameworks and integrated layers provides the end to end media protection system. The system is scaled to provide a commercial reality for safeguarding media delivery to millions of customer screens. Distribution not only includes Comcast but also as a syndicated system to enrich the video experience for Comcast partners and their customers.
Who does the Product Manager, Content Security Ecosystem work with?
As Product Manager, Content Security Ecosystem, you will be working with the best and the brightest product and technology minds at Comcast that are redefining how entertainment services are experienced inside and outside the home through its multi-Emmy award winning X1 platform. You will serve as a champion for customers (end user and/or business customers) and bridge the gap between business and technical to deliver products that customers love. You will work closely with our engineers to guide products from conception to launch. You will also work with members of the Video Infrastructure Product team as well as product teams in sister organizations such as X1 and Advanced Applications to drive end-to-end product requirements and support delivery of products and services. You will collaborate with our innovators in taking raw ideas and turning them into successful products/service offerings.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
You will lead the product evolution for the Content Security Player Ecosystem. This will be a challenging and interesting experience for several reasons.
- First, in typical Comcast fashion, the company continues to reinvest in core systems. Comcast is executing an unprecedented cable system migration to an all IP delivery and playout environment where the Content Security Platform is cross cutting and integral to virtually all aspects of the larger video ecosystem.
- Second, the scale of active engineering at Comcast is driving innovation. Solution discoveries continue to be made across the video system at large. Improvements are driving efficiencies to the system, efficiencies to the bottom line, and new & better user experiences for our customers. The Content Security program is a significant source of new inventions.
- Third, Comcast continues to pursue the best content rights and an ever-expanding entertainment product portfolio. As new products are introduced, Comcast will have further obligations to advance the video system with security feature enhancements to meet and exceed sophisticated content provider interests in security.
- Finally, this is a unique opportunity for a media industry security product manager because of the sheer breadth of disciplines in applied security engineering and the entertainment industry.
Unlike industry security roles typically dedicated to one major disciplinary area such as PKI/CA or Identity Management, this role encompasses virtually all media industry security disciplines, across: supply chain integration, embedded HW security, security modules and token technology, PKI/CA/X.509, key management, keying operations, host hardening, software application security, security protocols, media encryption, vendor-specific DRM licensing, and third-party device security integration.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll join a team that is rapidly changing the landscape of TV and redefining the industry through its video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. In your role, you will have opportunity to redefine how TV content is enjoyed inside and outside the home on devices of consumers' choice. Major entertainment and sporting events such as Oscars, Olympics provide you opportunities to innovate and offer new content experiences to customers.
- Take what we have and make it better
- Revise and maintain the content security product strategy
- Identify and embrace market- and invention-opportunities
- Translate the strategy into a product roadmap that can be developed/executed
- Like people, and be good at working with them
- Collaborate with business partners and customers to understand their needs and challenges
- Collaborate with other product managers to leverage best practices
- Collaborate with development engineers to identify practical solutions to product needs
- Collaborate with program managers to align work with other teams to ensure delivery
- Be smart
- Work with Research to conduct customer, market, and competitive intelligence
- Spend time with customers understand what they need and why
- Utilize data-driven decision-making to regularly assess performance of products/services and identify areas of opportunity for changes
- Balance your focus between 0-12-month deliverables (80%) and 3-5 year deliverables (20%)
- Tell others what you are doing
- Define, track and improve key product metrics for usage and content consumption
- Communicate with executives & stakeholders on product usage & performance, and gather feedback
- Have passion for television
- Participate in multiple Lab Weeks & hackathons throughout the year
- Experience as a security product owner defining vision and strategy for some of the following:
- Keying operations: PKI, Certificate Authority, or X.509 Standards
- Security part design, manufacture, and OEM integration
- Application integration with hardware and software crypto modules
- Credential integration with hardware and software crypto modules
- Credential management for enterprise and large device populations
- Enterprise server development and devOps
- Server, host, and application security and hardening integrating and configuring mechanisms such as SELinux, HW enforced trusted execution, and SW protected trusted execution
- Cryptographic security protocols for messages and networks
- Network layer security
- Security framework standards for applications such as Identity Management
- Encryption and DRM integration with W3C Premium Video technologies such as EME, MSE, WebCrypto and advanced media formats and codecs such as MPEG-DASH, DASH-BMFF, HEVC, and UHD
- Third party device integration including closed set-tops and televisions as well as mobile and desktop models
- Experience managing products
- Ability to negotiate and prioritize requests from multiple stakeholders to maximize the impact and value
- Ability to organizing multiple internal technical teams, as well as vendors for outsourced activities
- Strong analytical & planning skills; know when perfect is the enemy of good
- Good collaboration and interpersonal skills, ability to build and maintain relationships, to influence without direct authority
- Ability to make decisions quickly and independently; good shipped, is better than perfect on paper
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; capable of interacting with customers and Senior Leadership on complex topics
- Ability to travel as needed; typically, 20%
- Conference speaking experience a plus
About Comcast VIDEO
The VIDEO team is an organization within Comcast's Technology and Product group which supports the Product Management, Research & Development, Engineering and Operations for Comcast's World Class Video Experiences in use by Comcast and Syndicated Partners. We support both legacy QAM VIDEO Delivery and the Next Generation IP Video Platform infrastructure from Content Acquisition to the Player Consuming experiences, and control the end-to-end VIDEO delivery platforms. These platforms deliver video for live linear, video on-demand and cloud DVR services consumed by more than 20 million customers both in-home and out of home on STB's, connected TV, mobile and desktop products.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer